American Specialty Health
Structured Cabling Success Story - Going Above and Beyond
“There are numerous companies out there who can do cabling. But few who have the dedicated, caring and sincere experts like CPI. It’s folks like them that set the bar high and make CPI wonderful to work with."
Art Kahn - Infrastructure Manager for American Specialty Health Incorporated
American Specialty Health Incorporated
American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH) is one of the nation’s premier independent and privately-owned specialty health services organizations. ASH’s mission is to empower individuals to live healthier and longer. ASH accomplishes this mission by providing health plans, employer groups, insurance carriers, and trust funds with a wide range of population health management, fitness and exercise, and specialty health care management programs to improve the health of their members or employees.
Founded nearly three decades ago, ASH today has more than 1200 employees and serves more than 34 million members nationwide.
For more information:
Beginning in 2013, American Specialty Health initiated a move of its corporate headquarters from San Diego, California to Carmel, Indiana. A key goal was to design and house a new, state-of-the-art data center at the Carmel corporate offices. Art Kahn, Infrastructure Manager for ASH, did extensive research on structured cabling companies in the Indianapolis area. He was looking for a team who could not only turn the project around in a timely manner, but also had the expertise to build a data center infrastructure comparable to and compatible with the data center ASH had at their San Diego office.
The Solution and Results
Through a trusted referral source, Art discovered CPI. Shortly after meeting with CPI’s sales specialist, Dane Newman, Art toured a recent and expansive CPI structured cabling project. Art remembers, “The project was very impressive but what impressed me the most was Dane. He was kind and sincere and never once tried to oversell me. Ultimately, I chose CPI. The biggest reasons were because of the quality experts and the great company culture.”
Structured Cabling Engineer, Bob Trebing (one of three Registered Communications Distribution Designers at CPI), was assigned to the project. Initially, he began to oversee the structured cabling in the flex space facility and later completed the corporate office as well. Art was so pleased with CPI’s organization, work ethic and knowledge that he gave them the additional responsibility of project managing the technology integrations of the buildings.
A few of the team’s responsibilities included:
- Designing the foundation and infrastructure of the data center and IDF rooms
- Managing and executing all structured cabling installation
- Coordinating and communicating design details with general contractors and electrical, audio visual, and security vendors
- Art shares, “Bob and his colleagues anticipated our every need and went above and beyond the call of duty. We have a great working relationship and now, after two years of collaborating together, a great friendship. This project truly is the house that CPI built!”
Below is a peek into ASH’s cabling project:
- One data center of 22 cabinets and 15 open racks
- Four IDF rooms
- More than 700 workstations
- Over 1400 Cat 6 structured cables (tested and documented)
- OM4 fiber back bone between data center and each IDF room
- Cat 6 between data closet and individual workstations
- Cat 6 A in data center to connect containment aisles to the open racks
- Generator backup and cooling
CPI spearheads structured cabling projects of all sizes to help meet your unique needs. If you'd like to learn more about how we can help you with your cabling project, we invite you to contact us. One of our experts would be happy to answer your questions.
The American Specialty Health logo is a trademark of American Specialty Health Incorporated and used with permission herein.